Runner's High

Yesterday, I decided to run. I went into the day, not knowing what I was going to do for exercise. I kinda like that. No specific plan, yet. Also, I haven't had a chance to meet up with Christine from the YMCA to get my plan she did for me. Anyway, I went out for a run in the afternoon. I've been thinking a lot lately about my runs, along with reading articles and postings on "junk" miles. Some of the articles I read made a lot of sense. So, I've made the decision to have a purpose for every run. Whether it be LSD, speed session, intervals or hill work. This is not to say that I won't take it easy on a run. If I do a LSD, followed by a recovery run the day afterwards, I will take it easy. My desire is to improve my running to the best of "my" ability. I'm never going to be a superstar, but I do want improvement. Don't we all.

On to my run... I ran a 6-mile interval: 1 mile easy, 1 mile faster, and so forth. I need to read more on intervals and see what would be most effective. Anyhoo, at mile 3, I turned around and it's a long sloping un-noticeable (unless you run it) hill for about 1.3 and it kicked the crap out of me. I then turned back onto my main road for the remaining 1.5, and the wind was probably 15 mph. It was tough. But, as I turned down my street on on down the hill to home, I kicked it up a notch and took advantage of that downhill. I ended with a bang, happy about pace and time, and for the first time in a long time - felt "THE" runner's high.

This is one of the reasons why I run.

No comments: