Cold Water = Faster Mendy

Woohoo... I'm on a swimmer's high. (is there such a thing?) anyway, if there isn't, there is now...

I'm not hung up on pace's/times, etc. It's just a number to me. Improvement while feeling good is my ultimate goal. Pushing my body to limits I'm not used to is my goal, no matter what the time is. Of course, I want to PR everything I do, but, overall - it's about the feelings and love for what I do. That being said, I absolutely DON'T want to be last in any category at the Greenville Triathlon in August, so improving on my swim is a must.

I have 0 background on swimming. I took swimming lessons as a child, know how to swim but NEVER have swam laps, until 3/12. We joined the YMCA, and I started to swim. When I began, I couldn't hold my head under water at all and breathe under water. I was literally holding my head out of the water while I flap my way back and forth down the lanes, looking like a idiot.

... Now, I still look like an idiot, but - I hold my head under water and breathe upon exiting every stroke and I can do it the whole way down the lane. However, it's more like I gasp. But, baby steps - right! I still have to stop and rest between laps. That's fine! I swam 3 times in March and 5 times in April. My first time in the water was about 20:00 for 500 yards. It sucked!

Today....
I did my usual Wednesday lunch swim = 500 yds, shower fast, head home to grab a quick microwave meal, hurry back to work with wet hair routine today. I got to the dressing room and one of the lifeguards was telling someone else about how the pool temp was down and COLD. Just my luck - I thought - holy crap. I've got to swim my 10 laps and I'm already slow - now cold water!

Anyway, I went out there, jumped in, put my stuff on, shivered a LOT, started my watch and I was off. I didn't feel great swimming as I still don't feel like my breathing is where it should be so I still struggled. The water started to feel better, but you could still tell it was cold. Another guy jumped in the lane beside me and almost screeching like little girl. I finished my long 10 laps, and looked at my watch and saw this....

NOW, before you say that that is slow. Just remember the 20:00 min I started at in March, and this was my 9th time swimming at all! I came down 1:20 from Monday's swim time of 18:00 on the nose. This feels good, to see some improvement, even if it was the cold water that pushed me right along...

So, I was at the Paris Island tri for David, and know that they swam 500 yds in a pool and checked the times for the girls. 7:00 was the fasted (can I get a "WOW") and 24:20 was the slowest time, with a 20:11 right before her. 16:40 was about 10th from the bottom! Another, woo hoo anyone? Anyway, Goal is still twice a week swimming at lunch - definitely less busy. For now, there is no time goal at all - It was nice to see the improvement though... for now my goal is to get comfortable in the water - comfortable breathing.

... and I will get a chance to get some tips as my class is ON for tomorrow night!! I'm taking "swimming lessons". Woo hoo (That's 3!!!) I still have 4 1/2 months until the tri.

What a day so far - tonight is party time (well, at the Church)!

5 comments:

David said...

w00t! Way to go, Mendy! The more you do it, the smoother you will get. You're gonna rock the G'ville Sprint Tri!

Cold water, huh? Kinda wish I would have swam today >:D

Gotta Run..... said...

What great improvement in your time. Cold water sucks but it did not seem to slow you down one bit. Way to go Mendy!! Can't wait to see how the swim clinic goes. Wish I could get away with wet hair at work. The shoes was pushing it for me :).

Scott said...

Way to go Mendy...sorry it took a day for me to read your blog. Still have images of David wearing that blue "marble bag" and I get thrown off in "fantasy land".

Anyways...loved the picture of you watch showing the time. Awesome!!!

Question...does cold water really...(nevermind)....

Gotta Run..... said...

Misses you in cycle. We only had 5 people take the class. Jeni crushed us :). I will take it again on the 16th.

Jason The Running Man said...

Great Job Mendy!